Friday, July 10, 2009

Feminist Science Fiction?

I'm a member of a feminist science fiction book club online.
You can find it here.

Last month we read "The Female Man" by Joanna Russ. It was quite different from any other science fiction book I have ever read. I considered it preachy. But it was written in the mid-seventies and the world was changing quickly. Women were entering the work place more and more.

I had trouble relating to some aspects of the book, I don't think I have as much life experience in many ways. I have not had many jobs yet, I have not dated many people. Thinking about it now I can see times where perhaps being a woman holds me back. Traveling in Peru, for example. I did not feel comfortable traveling alone. I wish I had.

This month's book is "Woman on the Edge of Time" by Marge Piercy. It's about a Chicana woman in New York. She ends up in an asylum. I'm not really sure how it's science fiction yet. But I'm sure it will become obvious soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment