Saturday, July 11, 2009

Call of Cthulhu

I was listening to a Cthulhu podcast today, and I learned that there is a role playing game called "Call of Cthulhu" (I'm not posting links today, I'm on a different computer). It sounds really interesting.

It is quite different than Dungeons and Dragons. You play a regular person who discovers that something is not quite right in the world. Then you must try to stop the world from coming to an end. You might win or you might lose, but hopefully what will really happen is that you will be drawn into the story playing out before you and feel real, strong emotions. I'm intrigued by this, and I really would like to try to play it.

My brother recently played a game very similar to this with a friend and he told me about it. It has cards to pick out the character you play and the monster you must defeat. It was really more of a complicated board game. My brother said he didn't really get into the story the way the creator of the Call of Cthulhu described in the podcast. I would like to try this game too, but we'll see how the rest of this summer goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment