Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Horror

When I was little, I terrified at the idea of being scared.

One of my first memories of the horror genre is of Dad and I, home alone. It was raining, hard. Dad was watching a movie on Tv. I think, it was The Mummy. It involved, of course, an ancient Egyptian mummy coming back to life and trying to kill the living. I remember being so scared and trapped. I was scared of the darkness, scared of being alone, and scared of watching the movie. I cowered next to Dad the whole time.

Probably one of the scariest things for me about Horror is the lack of control you feel in the events as they occur. I now have an appreciation for Horror, so much so, that I wanted to create a creepy environment to heighten it's effect. To do this my friend Superdestructivesheep and I walked silently to a graveyard late at night, listening to music created in an asylum. We wore dark colors and hoods to hide from infrequent oncoming traffic. Then we sat under a aged twisted tree, and listened to a Pseudopod episode called "The Sons of Carbon County".

All in all, it was quite a good experience. My friend left at one point to get something from the house, and I was able to sit alone in a graveyard, late at night. It was a bit frightening, simply being alone and waiting in such an open but shadowed space. It was soothing to have the light of the moon shining on the bleached gravestones.

I would like to do this again someday, someday soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment